Great care begins with our outstanding staff. Everyone involved in your care is here to serve your needs. Your involvement -- asking questions, keeping track of your medications, and learning about patient and visitor safety - is a partnership we value highly.
Visitation Guidelines – Effective Monday, March 7, 2022
Visitor and Support Persons Guidance
All Visitors and Support Persons, regardless of their COVID-19 vaccination status, will be required to complete a health screening (questions and temperature check), wear a face mask at all times, clean their hands with soap/water/hand sanitizer before entering and after leaving a patient room, and practice social distancing throughout the visitation.
Visitor: an individual, 12 years of age or older that is able to visit with a patient within the SLH defined visitation hours.
Support Person: an individual, 18 years of age or older and are essential to patient care. They include:
- A parent or guardian of a pediatric patient
- A Support Person to a laboring patient
- A person who is medically necessary for the care of a patient including patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD)
- Patients with cognitive impairments including dementia or in imminent end-of-life situations for a patient who is actively dying and death is anticipated within less than 24 hours.
To help protect the safety of staff, patients and Visitors, the following COVID-19 guidelines will remain in place:
- Patients may designate Visitors in accordance with the below guidelines:
- Emergency Department: One (1) Visitor for adult patients and two (2) Visitors for pediatric patients may be present on-site at a time in the emergency room.
- Ambulatory Surgery Units (ASU): One (1) Visitor may be present on-site at a time.
- Medical Surgery Units (MSU): Two (2) Visitors may be present on-site at a time.
- Pediatric Inpatients: Two (2) Visitors may be present on-site at a time
- Visiting hours for all SLH hospital inpatient units are*:
- Canton-Potsdam Hospital: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Gouverneur Hospital: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Massena Hospital: 9 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. - 8 p.m.
- Visitors must be 12 years of age or older.
- *No Visitors will be permitted in the rooms of patients on Enhanced Isolation Precautions (for COVID-19)
- The following groups may designate a Support Person(s) who is not restricted by visitation hours.
- Pediatric patients: Two (2) Support Person(s) or Visitors may be present on-site at a time in the emergency room or during hospitalization.
- Labor & Delivery: Support persons will be permitted in accordance with New York State Law. In labor and delivery triage, prior to admission, one (1) Support Person is allowed. Patients may have two (2) designated adult support people present upon admission, throughout labor, delivery, and postpartum.
- Patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities (I/DD), and cognitive impairments including dementia: One (1) Support Person may be present on-site at a time in the emergency room or during hospitalization.
- End-of-Life Situations: the patient and/or family/care giver may designate two (2) Visitors at a time at the bedside as long as social distancing is maintained.
- Patients undergoing same-day procedures may be accompanied to the facility by a companion for pre-procedure (surgery) and post-procedure (surgery). Pediatric patients undergoing procedures may have up to two (2) Support Persons.
Outpatient Location Support Person Guidelines:
- One (1) Support Person is permitted to be with a patient during an outpatient visit
- Both the patient and the Support Person are screened for symptoms of COVID-19
Hospital visitation duration and number of Visitors will be limited at the hospital’s discretion based on circumstances. A hospital may suspend visitation at any time when warranted. Recommended hours of visitation will ultimately be determined by the hospital.
CPH Medical Records Office has Moved...
...from within the Hospital to 10 Racquette Road, Potsdam. The new office may also be accessed by going through the SeaComm Plaza at 145 Market Street. Medical Records may be reached at 315.261.5274.