CPH Prepares for Major Project
In early 2022, Canton-Potsdam Hospital (CPH) submitted a Certificate of Need to New York State requesting permission to make expansions to the Hospital at 50 Leroy Street, Potsdam. CPH is currently awaiting the State's approval.
A Groundbreaking Ceremony for the Regional Care Pavilion at Canton-Potsdam Hospital was held on June 14, 2022.
Rochester Regional Health Chief Executive Officer Richard Davis, PhD, was one of the event speakers (shown at the podium).
Other speakers (seated L to R) were St. Lawrence Health President Donna McGregor, Rochester Regional Health Board Chair David Riedman, Outgoing St. Lawrence Health President David Acker, and St. Lawrence Health Board Chair Ed Mucenski.
The $71.8 million project is expected to include three main areas: patient rooms, the Emergency Department, and the main entrance/lobby.
Main Entrance and Lobby
- Relocate Hospital entry one floor above the current location; level ground grading
- Expand Main Lobby
- New Gift Shop
- Coffee Kiosk
Emergency Department (ED)
- Expand the ED by adding 11 Patient Treatment rooms for a new total of 28
- Expand the ED Waiting Area
- Create Triage Rooms with a sub-waiting area
- Create 4 Flex Exam Rooms
- Create 4 Resuscitation Rooms/Trauma Room
- New Emergency Entrance off Cottage Street
- Build a new 4-story “wing” off the north-west corner of the Hospital
- Increase the number of licensed medical/surgical patient beds from the current 63 to 78
- The new wing will include:
- 60 Private/Single Occupancy, enlarged patient rooms (30 rooms on each of the 2nd and 3rd floors)
- 6 Acuity Adjustable rooms per floor
- Floor space for staff collaboration
- Support Services staging
- Strategically placed Nurses’ Stations
Front Entrance Flips In August 2022
The Main Entrance, Emergency Department Entrance, and Rescue Squad Bays will temporarily be moved to Cottage Street in early August 2022, and remain in use for several months.
Patients and visitors to the Hospital or Emergency Department will be asked to park in the large existing lot across the street from the Hospital on Cottage Street.
Behavioral Health, and Sleep Lab patients at 20 Cottage Street will enter the building from the back.
Patients and visitor parking for the Center for Cancer Care or Leroy Outpatient Center will not change.
View a map of the flip under Drawings and Plans.
Impacts to the Grounds at CPH
The entire project is expected to take a total duration of 2.5 years; enabling work will commence in May 2022, and primary construction is slated to begin in August 2022; completion is expected in early 2025. We want to assure our patients and visitors that there will be no impact on patient care throughout the project. While things may look different, our medical, emergency, and clinical departments will remain fully functional.
We encourage you and the community as a whole to visit our dedicated web pages often for the latest updates on how parking, drop-off/pick-up, and entrance onto the campus and into the Hospital will be affected.
Initial 2022 Timeline
- June – Groundbreaking
- June – Temporary Entrance construction begins on south side of Hospital (Cottage Street side)
- June – Parking lot to west of current ED goes off-line
- June – East end of parking lot for the office of Mark Healey, MD, at 25 Cottage Street will be offline for approximately 1 month.
- June – Removal of houses at 13 and 15 Grove Street
- June – Site preparation work on northern side of Hospital grounds
- June – Sidewalk in front of 25 Cottage Street office and parking lot will be offline for approximately 2 months.