St. Lawrence Health offers its new-to-practice nurses the opportunity to register for the Iowa Online Nurse Residency Program, which was developed with rural organizations in mind.
Based on best practices and the latest research, the Nurse Residency Program’s curriculum addresses competencies that are weak or lacking in new nurse graduates.
The purpose of this one-year program is to ease the transition of newly graduated nurses into professional practice, aid in their socialization as a fully functioning member of the healthcare team, and help them to provide safe and comprehensive patient care. This program is intended for new graduate registered nurses within their first year of practice.
Our competency-based curriculum is delivered using a combination of interactive online modules covering evidence-based content, and monthly live discussions bringing residents together.
* eLearning Modules: Residents complete eLearning modules focused on competencies research has shown to be lacking in new graduate nurses.
* Reflection: Following completion of the modules, residents are guided through self-paced reflection and learning activities.
* Monthly Discussions: Peer cohort discussions are held monthly to discuss experiences, share support, and get practical tips on practice improvement.
* Practice: Residents return to the units to practice and apply what they learned in the modules, journaling, and discussions.
* Coaching and Support: Continued coaching and support are provided from pre-identified unit staff and managers as they progress through the program and work to complete a residency project.
Schedule and Objectives