St. Lawrence Health (SLH) is proud to have an immensely talented, highly skilled, and compassionate team of nurses within its ranks at Canton-Potsdam, Gouverneur, and Massena hospitals. We thought you might like to hear, straight from them, why they enjoy working for SLH.
We also want to point out that SLH offers its new-to-practice nurses the opportunity to register for the Iowa Online Nurse Residency Program.
Furthermore, in connection with Rochester Regional Health, SLH offers hands-on training in downtown Potsdam through the Isabella Graham Hart School of Practical Nursing.
CPH Emergency Department Nurses
- We work with seasoned, Nationally Certified Emergency, and Nationally Certified Trauma Nurses, as well as ER Board Certified Physicians.
- We have a strong interaction with outside EMS agencies and transport teams such as LifeNet.
- There is something different every shift – perfect for those who believe variety is the spice of life.
- Our range of patients allows for the development in all areas of nursing – cardiac/stroke thrombolytics, orthopedics, procedural sedation, trauma, etc.
- There is opportunity for outside educational conferences and training.
- CPH has the only verified Trauma Center between Syracuse and Plattsburgh.
- The Emergency Department Nurse Residence Program shows there is a strong commitment to training within our own staff.
CPH Medical-Surgical Unit Nurses
- Amazing team work - everyone works well together. We have a great medical staff.
- There is a wide variety of patients so we are always learning.
- Growing specialty practices makes finding answers that much easier. An example is the Infectious Disease Department.
- Great PPE for the COVID-19 patients and thorough policy surrounding the department.
- Scheduling creates teams for the shifts you work, which allows us to get to know each other’s strengths and weaknesses, and presents a stress-free work team.
- The use of templates for schedules allows us to have a life outside of work and plan around our schedules.
- The ancillary support is amazing! Unit clerks, NAs, staffing coordinators, supervisors, etc.
- Teamwork is so strong that you don’t want to call out unless you have to because you don’t want to let your team/co-workers down.
- My job is rewarding.
- CPH is a teaching hospital with nursing students and PA students, and the staff enjoys teaching.
- We always have resources available, for example N95s.
- There's a variety of staff on MSU from new grads to those with 15-plus years and more.
- Culture of providers; they are approachable, personable, and not intimidating.
- Backline secure texting saves the staff from anxiety-ridden phone calls.
- Having more specialty practices available creates less transfers out.
- Nurse Residency Program for new grads/hires is wonderful.
- Within the community, most patients want to come to our facility vs others because they feel we have the highest standard of care.
- Availability of progression within the Health System. For example, nurse aide to RN to NP.
- Continuous upgrades completed for EMR and other systems.
- We feel like we can always ask questions. The atmosphere is welcoming.
- Competitive wages.
- You actually get to know your patients and their families.
CPH Obstetrics Nurses
- OB provider options, such as Midwifery or Obstetrician.
- A welcoming personal birth plan – pain management and comfort options (Jet tub usage, hydro therapy), birthing ball, focus and distraction (mind-diverting activities – imagery), aromatherapy, and pharmacologic.
- Continuity of care to support both mother and newborn
- RN Certified Lactation Consultants to assist with breastfeeding needs
- Celebratory meal before discharged – “Stork Meal” black linen tablecloth with toasting flutes
- Ongoing education is provided for the parent(s) through the Injoy learning app.
- Resources are available for families needing additional services for them/newborn – Case Management
- We offer the MWRAP program through an OASAS grant for moms dealing with a substance use disorder.
- We have an established Unit Based Council who are very involved in unit decisions
- Collaborative work environment between all the nurses and providers – a close-knit unit that feels like family.
- We provide comprehensive and compassionate care to our community.
- Friendly, close-knit community and staff.
- My work-life schedule is accommodated.
- GH allows you to apply and develop learned skills professionally.
- There is a provision of acute and long-term care.
- I aid in the treatment of those struggling with addiction, and assist with the development of recovery care.
- Support of our nurses comes from the top down.
- We have a supportive management team, and growth opportunities are provided.
- GH is a small hospital that provides individual care to meet each patient’s needs.
- We have a friendly staff who strive to make a difference and provide competent and trusted care.
- We are able to assist those struggling with acute medical needs, have long-term needs, or those facing addiction - all in one place.
- There's a slower pace here at MH for learning.
- Family atmosphere among staff.
- Commitment to the needs of the community.
- We have experienced long-term nurses to guide you with a leadership team committed to your success.
- The Med/Surg Unit is small in size but large in compassion.
- We provide treatment for a variety of patients from COPD and CHF, to total joint replacements.
- We are encouragement by the leaders, and the providers are respectful.
- It's about teamwork with an emphasis on quality care.
- MH has a low turnover with many of the nursing staff having 10 years or more of experience.
- The departments are great, with excellent people to work with - we are truly a family.
- There is not an “us against them” relationships between departments.
- The staff always strived to do the best and become better.
- Our nurses are self-motivated, and dedicated to the patients, to each other, and to the success of MH.