TESTING FOR COVID-19 IS AVAILABLE AT MULTIPLE SLHS TESTING CENTERS
Effective November 30, 2020: the COVID-19 Testing Center in Potsdam will be located in the SeaComm Plaza, 145 1/2 Market Street, Potsdam. Testing will be available daily from 7 AM to 3 PM. There will no longer be a Testing Center at 49 Lawrence Avenue.
St. Lawrence Health System also offers COVID-19 testing at the following locations:
- E.J. Noble Building in Canton, Monday-Friday, 7 AM - 3 PM
- Gouverneur Hospital, Monday-Friday, 7 AM - 3 PM
- Massena Hospital, daily from 7 AM - 3 PM
We test individuals who have been in direct contact with a person known to be COVID-19 positive, individuals who are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 (including fever, chills, repeated shaking with chills, muscle pain, headache, sore throat, cough, shortness of breath, unexplained severe fatigue, and/or loss of taste or smell), and individuals who have a referral from the St. Lawrence County Department of Health.
Although appointments are not required, patients are recommended to call SLHS' Hotline at: (315) 261-6240 or St. Lawrence County Department of Health at: (315) 229-3448 to inquire about an appointment. The hotline will be taking appointments Monday-Friday, 7 AM - 3 PM.
What to Bring:
- You must arrive in a personal vehicle. Due to the increased risk of contamination, as well as current shortages of personal protective equipment, walk-ups are not permitted at this time.
- Each person to be tested must be seated next to a working window.
- Limit vehicle passengers to those needing a test.
- Have a photo ID for all persons registered for testing that includes name and date of birth (can be New York driver's license, state-issued ID, or passport).
- Please bring tissues and a washcloth/towel.
You will be required to provide the following information:
- Full name
- Current address (where you are staying)
- Best phone number to reach you in order to receive test results
What to Expect:
- When you arrive at the testing site, you should remain in your vehicle.
- Upon arrival, call the number you were provided with when you made the appointment.
- A health care provider in personal protective gear will come to your vehicle and provide you with instructions.
- You will be asked to blow your nose using the tissue you brought with you. You will need dispose of the tissue on your own.
- A soft swab will be inserted deep into your nose to get the necessary sample. This may be slightly uncomfortable, but the test is quick and should take less than a minute.
- Test results are not immediate. It may take a few days. After the test, you will be given information/instructions to take with you while you await the results.
- You will receive test results via the telephone number you gave at the time of pre-screening.
The testing site will be staffed by health care professionals in medical protective gear who are trained to test for COVID-19. Directional signage will help residents through the testing site in an orderly fashion.
People who are experiencing a medical emergency should dial 9-1-1 immediately.