Pharmacy Residency Program: Postgraduate Year 1 (PGY1) Pharmacy
Program Type: ASHP accredited PGY 1 Residency
ASHP Match Number: 237913
Residency training at Canton-Potsdam Hospital will prepare today’s pharmacists for the complexities of tomorrow’s patients. The PGY-1 pharmacy residency is a 12-month program designed to engage pharmacists in a clinically diverse environment, where they can gather skills in a variety of pharmacy practice areas. It will be expected upon completion of the pharmacy residency that each pharmacy resident will possess a skill set not limited to the improvement of patient safety, but the advancement of one’s clinical and ethical ability as a general clinical practitioner in an acute care setting.
ASHP PGY-1 Program Purpose Statement: PGY1 pharmacy residency programs build on Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm. D.) education and outcomes to contribute to the development of clinical pharmacists responsible for medication-related care of patients with a wide range of conditions, eligible for board certification, and eligible for postgraduate year two (PGY2) pharmacy residency training.
The PGY-1 residency program at Canton-Potsdam Hospital will allow for the development and clinical growth of pharmacy professionals, following graduation of an ACPE accredited College of Pharmacy. The pharmacy resident will gain skills in direct patient care, with experiences in acute, ambulatory, infectious disease, and oncology/hematology settings. Residents will have the ability to perform research, earn a teaching certificate, and work with other professional learners (i.e. physician assistant, nursing students). The resident will also obtain leadership skills that can be utilized in a variety of health care system settings. Residents will have the ability to immerse themselves in many settings, gaining valuable skills and experiences that will translate into future success.
The residency program may be adapted to provide an individualized approach based on the resident’s interests, goals, and experiences. Residents will be expected to complete the core learning experiences; however, they can have flexibility that allows for further experience and learning of skills in their particular area of interest.
Our residents will also be required to complete a major research project and present the information at a professional pharmacy meeting. Canton-Potsdam Hospital is affiliated with multiple colleges of pharmacy, therefore, there will be numerous opportunities for student precepting, and application of learned skills via the teaching and learning program. All residents who successfully complete the program will be granted a certificate.
Successful Completion of the Program
All residents must complete the following requirements in order to successfully complete the PGY-1 Canton-Potsdam Hospital residency:
- Successfully complete the hospital and departmental orientation programs
- NYS pharmacy licensure by day 90 from start date
- Completion of all summative evaluations via Pharmacademic
- Successful completion of the Major Residency Project with presentation at NYSCHP Annual Assembly OR Eastern States
- Successful completion of the Hospital Pharmacy Practice (Operational staffing), longitudinal experience
- Successful completion of all learning experiences with obtaining an “achieve” in 80% of program goals and objectives.
- Completion of formulary monographs for P&T Committee
- Successfully presents Journal Club
- Successful completion of BLS and ACLS
- Participation with IPPE and APPE students from affiliated Colleges of Pharmacy
- Participation in at least two Pharmacy Professional Organizations
- Attends required department and interdisciplinary meetings
- Attends quarterly meetings with program director
For Canton-Potsdam Hospital Pharmacy Residency information, contact Jay DeLisle, Pharm. D, BCPS at firstname.lastname@example.org.